Skip to main content

WWE PayBack 2020 | A Coherent Review.

This PPV was 2 and a half hours long and you know what? I appreciate that.

That doesn't mean the show was epic of all proportions or something along those lines.

But, I can't say that I hated this PPV because I had a good time overall. 

Also, I've not seen the pre-show match so I can't give my thoughts on it. 


pictures via WWE.com

Apollo Crews vs Bobby Lashley For The United States Championship.

WWE Photo


Not the greatest opening match of all time but it was really fun. 

Lashley threw Apollo on the ring post which obviously looked brutal to watch.

Bobby then nailed the dominator and Crews kicked out after Bobby tried to pin him.

Unfortunately, Crews didn't get out of the full Nelson submission and he tapped out of that move as a result.

WWE Photo

Because of it, Bobby Lashley is a two time United States champion.

Then, Apollo Crews attacked Bobby for a bit but as soon as the rest of the Hurt Business showed up, Crews got away.

I don't mind a rematch. They had a good one. 

Heyman refused to answer Kalya Braxton's questions concerning Roman Reigns signing the contract to be part of the Universal championship. 

Why did I say that Roman signed the contract in my Smackdown review or is WWE breaking continuity once again?

I do not know at this point.

In a backstage segment, JBL gave Keith Lee his card. Okay?

Big E vs Sheamus.

WWE Photo


A rematch from an episode of Smackdown. What's the date for that episode?

Can't be bothered to research it because the match was meh.

Sheamus tried various moves that targeted either Big E's back or his leg.

That didn't put Big E down as he nailed the powerbomb that was followed by the big ending and the big man walked out of the Thunderdome the winner.

Not a huge fan of the match but I do like wrestlers building momentum by winning.

Matt Riddle vs King Corbin.

WWE Photo


The new interviewer by the name of Alyse Ashton asked Matt Riddle about King Corbin's tweet about how he's a failure at home to which Riddle just walked off.

I didn't know what in my rainbow ice cream was that all about.

The bout itself was fine. Corbin attacked Matt Riddle during Riddle's entrance.

The match concluded with a bro to sleep then a floating bro and Matt Riddle picked up the W.

WWE Photo

I will say, the King sold that kidney shot like a champ.

That loss bothered King Corbin and because of that, he struck Riddle from behind.

Ugh, this feud is far from game over.

Bayley And Sasha Banks vs Shayna Baszler And Nia Jax.

WWE Photo


Sasha Banks and Bayley were surprisingly dominant throughout most of the match given who they were facing for the tag belts.

The match ended with a great move from Baszler which was a kirifuda clutch on Bayley and a leg lock on Banks at the same time.


WWE Photo


That made Bayley tap out and the unlikely duo became the new women's tag team champions.

Again, That finish was. Fan. Freaking. Tastic.

As far as Bayley and Sasha Banks are concerned, it looks like they're blowing the eventual feud between each other at Hell In A Cell.

But, who the hell knows at this point?

Keith Lee vs Randy Orton.

WWE Photo


Remember my latest 5 News Week post about Keith Lee getting new music that will debut on this very show?

Well, that definitely didn't happen tonight.

It could happen at some point soon but that is disappointing to hear that generic stock music.


WWE Photo


But hey, at least he won the match with a beautiful looking spirit bomb.

This is how Keith Lee should make an impact.

The encounter was surprisingly decent.

Dominik And Rey Mysterio vs Seth Rollins And Murphy.

WWE Photo

Another rematch from an episode of a show.

This time it was Monday Night RAW and unlike the Big E vs Sheamus match, the tag team action was very good.

Is this match no different? I will say so.

This was a good old fashioned tag team wrestling and I absolutely loved it.

Full of great moments and near falls.

Due to some miscommunications from Seth and Murphy, Dominik delivered the 619 to win this match.

"The Fiend" Bray Wyatt vs Braun Strowman vs Roman Reigns? For The Universal Championship.

WWE Photo


Earlier in the bout, Braun Strowman attacked Bray Wyatt during Wyatt's entrance.

Meanwhile backstage, Alexa Bliss was watching The Fiend beat up Strowman.

Both guys did a superplex that broke the ring to which Roman Reigns came out and signed the contract before he hit the spear to become a 2-time Universal champion.


WWE Photo


The only thing I didn't like about this entire thing was that it felt a bit too rushed.

But, I can't 100% blame them given that they had to build a PPV the week after Roman Reigns returned.

By the way, I hope WWE new music for Roman Reigns in the can. I, quite frankly, am sick of his Shield remix theme song he's been rocking with for many moons now. 

So, to recap for all of you slow mofos.

Like: Apollo Crews vs Bobby Lashley, the great finish from the women's tag team title match, Seth Rollins and Murphy vs Rey and Dominik Mysterio, Keith Lee's win, Big E building momentum by winning.

Didn't like: The continuation of the Matt Riddle and King Corbin feud.


Put any of your thoughts about Payback 2020 and follow the blog for reviews like this, essays about the world of pro wrestling and opinions on news items. Follow me on Twitter @omartheplayaguy and stay safe smarks.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WWE RAW 16/8/21 | A Coherent Review.

Another week, another L for the red brand in terms of overall quality. And they do not need that L considering that it's the final show before this year's SummerSlam event.  Images via WWE.com   Randal Keith Orton And Riddal Are Back Together?  Randy explained his actions last week, stating that he simply doesn't owe anyone an explanation because he's Randy Orton (okay?).  Out came the most obnoxious person in Riddle and he wanted RKBRO to reunite. Styles showed up to hype up his big goof in Omos.  That RKO last week was as confusing as the thought of Jupiter Ascending being a "good movie".    The question is, did the band realigned themselves once again?  The answer was a soft no if you stopped watching the show after the Riddle and AJ Styles match (I don't blame ANYONE that stops watching Monday Night RAW).  However, that became a solid yes after Randy's bout with Omos. Am I the only one that feels kinda mid about this?  It's not terri...

My Coherent Wrestling Wednesdays: Cody Rhodes vs Wardlow In A Steel Cage, Bianca Belair Calling Out Charlotte Flair.

For the second week in a row, All Elite Wrestling has knocked it out of the park in their premier pro wrestling show while NXT is cooling off the steam creatively that is Takeover: Portland. Hopefully, the yellow brand picks back up next week.  NXT       Highlights.  Broserweights vs Oney Lorcan And Danny Burch.  That dialogue when Riddle said that they partied so hard in Portland that Pete Dunne failed the wellness policy was hilarious. The champions are immediately getting back to work after that great performance this past Sunday.  Also, this is the return of Danny Burch and Oney Lorcan so it's great to see those guys. The champions are still strong thanks to that knee strike from Riddle to win this match. A good match indeed.  Chelsea Green vs Kayden Carter.  The reason why I put this in my highlights is not because of the match but rather Bianca Belair showing up and challenging Charlotte Flair saying that...

The 5 News Week: WWE Hitting The Road Once Again!?

Hello, my fellow wrestling fans and welcome to the 5 news week. The post where I report 5 major or minor news of the week that I don't have time to do it separately. Without further ado, here are the 5 news week.   Some Images via WWE.com Johnny Ace Back On Being The Talent Relations For WWE.  John Laurinaitis returning as the talent relations for world wrestling entertainment aka big f**king yikes.  From F4WOnline and Dave Meltzer , Johnny is *sigh* back on the talent relations side of WWE and will be reporting to WWE's executive vice president of operations, Brad Blum.  The article did go on to mention that the talent relations side division has been split into "talent management and talent branding".  Fightful select has some additional information on this story about the backstage reaction of the news and pretty much, some of the talents weren't too happy with the news.  Keep in mind that WWE hasn't officially confirmed this news.  I don't ne...