Skip to main content

A Guide On How To Improve Wrestling Criticism.

Now, before you all verbally eat me alive like a hippopotamus (yes hippos eat humans, look that up), understand that I’m just an average dude writing about pro wrestling and doesn’t claim to be an expert in anything and that includes professional wrestling (except cooking. I’m damn good at cooking). 

However, what I’ve been discovering as a pro wrestling blogger for over a year is that there are some wrestling criticism out there that just make me wanna scratch my head to the point where my hands turn into an electric shaver if that makes sense. For instance, “Why is Ricochet’s trunks red instead of white?” or “Why’s Andrade wearing his Luchador mask for his entrance every week?” 

In other words, they’re nitpicking and trust me I do that ALL THE TIME in my wrestling reviews. There’s nothing wrong with nitpicking certain things but the difference is that I acknowledge that I’m nitpicking and those guys clearly don’t. 

There are fans out there on the interweb that believe their criticisms are nothing but “facts” or the “truth” aka toxic fans (What? I didn’t know that). Now, I’ve compiled a guide on how to improve wrestling criticism and I divided it into three elements. 

Element #1: Self Education. 

This point is especially for all the young fans out there. Now, what do I mean by self-education? Watching old matches before your time, reading articles/watching documentaries about infamous incidents, reading books about pro wrestlers’ lives etc. 

What I’m trying to say is that educating yourself about an industry you love will make you smarter as a result. Also, history repeats itself and when you see a storyline that looks so similar you’ll instantly recognize it. Always educate yourself when you can otherwise you'll look like an idiot in a conversational setting and you don't want that do you? 

Element #2: Listen To Opinions That Are The Opposite Of Yours. 

Listening to different opinions will do two things (or at least it does for me). One, it makes you more aware of the topic and two, it makes you think about the topic. For example, the recent Sasha Banks story. Reading the reports of that story will make you aware of the situation and seeing people talk about the story will make you think about the situation. “Is she entitled or does she wants to be utilized properly on WWE television?” 

A psychology blog called psychreg.org talks about the differences of opinions in the best way possible: 

“While you’re listening to the other person explain their side of things, remember that just because you understand where someone is coming from and why they think what they do, it doesn’t mean that you have to agree with them nor does it mean you’re conceding defeat to them. It just means that you’re willing to listen to their side of things because the other party may have something for you to learn”. 

Element #3: Understand The Subjectivity Of Professional Wrestling. 

This is by far, the most important element on wrestling criticism. If you don’t understand that professional wrestling like any other art form is subjective then I’m sorry, you shouldn’t be talking about pro wrestling. Not understanding the subjectivity of pro wrestling will lead to toxic conversations, egos being build and other worst things. We as human beings can measure a lot of things but the thing we can’t measure is the human experience of a piece of entertainment consumed on a daily basis. 

Just because somebody liked Monday Night RAW (which is not the most popular thing to say) or vice versa that doesn’t mean he or she is a “smark mark” or a “WWE shill”. What it does mean is that they simply liked or disliked a show and that’s what fandom should be. To quote in the style of Roman Reigns: 

“There’s no wrong opinion. There’s no right opinion. There’s THE opinion”. 

I hope you find this informative and if you did, please share it around. Follow me on the tweets @omartheplayaguy and follow the blog for honest pro wrestling opinions. Anyways, stay safe smarks.

Additional sources: www.psychreg.org/respecting-other-peoples-opinion/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WWE RAW 23/8/21 | A Coherent Review.

Monday Night RAW yesterday didn't piss me off so that's nice, I guess.  Images via WWE.com   Bobby Lashley Confronted By Damian Priest.  Damian Priest was like, "You're a coward for relentlessly damaging Goldberg's arm and I want to challenge you for a match" and a pissed off Bobby Lashley accepted the offer.  My thoughts after watching the segment  was, "Damian's losing clean, right?"  Well, I was wrong. The match ended via a DQ due to an attack from Sheamus aka the man that was once called "the great white".  Priest got some help from Drew McIntyre. With McIntyre, Sheamus and Bobby Lashley being in the same segment, it's almost like a blast from the past if you're a zoomer that thinks 6 months ago is like 10 years ago (moi).  Of course, a tag team match happened and the babyfaces won the encounter with the claymore to Sheamus. I wasn't offended watching all of this unfold and I feel like that's asking too much from WWE...

WWE RAW 16/8/21 | A Coherent Review.

Another week, another L for the red brand in terms of overall quality. And they do not need that L considering that it's the final show before this year's SummerSlam event.  Images via WWE.com   Randal Keith Orton And Riddal Are Back Together?  Randy explained his actions last week, stating that he simply doesn't owe anyone an explanation because he's Randy Orton (okay?).  Out came the most obnoxious person in Riddle and he wanted RKBRO to reunite. Styles showed up to hype up his big goof in Omos.  That RKO last week was as confusing as the thought of Jupiter Ascending being a "good movie".    The question is, did the band realigned themselves once again?  The answer was a soft no if you stopped watching the show after the Riddle and AJ Styles match (I don't blame ANYONE that stops watching Monday Night RAW).  However, that became a solid yes after Randy's bout with Omos. Am I the only one that feels kinda mid about this?  It's not terri...

WWE NXT 19/6/19 | My Coherent Review.

This episode was okay. Nothing really happened besides some announcements for next week's show and beyond.  The Rest Of Undisputed Era Celebrates Adam Cole's Big NXT Takeover Victory.  Adam Cole now being the 16th NXT champion, said that he told us so and he has fulfilled his prophecy. Cole also said that he's going to remake the NXT universe into an Undisputed image. Did he unveil that image to the world? Well, it's not an image really but rather he shows us the NXT opening intro featuring the Undisputed Era only which was badass I must say.  Adam Cole gave a warning to the North American champion and the NXT Tag Team Champions that they should shine those belts real nice. Speaking of The North American, out came the Velveteen Dream. The Dream said that the NXT Championship would look nice with his North American championship.  After Roderick Strong gave a lame response with "Dream on", Matt Riddle showed up and said that he's a s...