Skip to main content

How Naomi's Royal Rumble 2020 Return SHOOK Black Twitter.

If you haven't been watching WWE for 10+ years, well first off, why are you here and secondly, can I be like you because I'm jealous? 

Let me recap who Naomi is. She is a wrestler, actor, dancer, singer and a former women's champion who's been with WWE for 10 years. 

In other words, Naomi is a future EGOT winner and you cannot tell me otherwise. 

Thanks to her persona that resonated with the audience whether as a heel or a babyface, she has built up a following that is "ride or die" for the former funkadactyl aka stans which I am a part of. 

Why? Because if there's one thing I have in common with Stan Twitter is that we love to call white people "ageing at the speed of crack". 

She may be throwing glow sticks like an early 2010s Ellie Goulding music video, but she's a capable talent that can hang with the best of the best. 

But, you read the title. This ain't about a career retrospect about Naomi (although I don't mind doing so), but rather a retrospect on one fateful moment in a year filled with unfateful moments (unless you're rich to which in that case, f**k you). 

That fateful moment is Naomi's return at the 2020 Royal Rumble. 

Now, what makes this return really significant compared to, I don't know, Big Show's return at the 2001 Royal Rumble? 

Well, there are a few reasons. First of which is that it got the attention from the funny folks over at Black Twitter. 

I mean, I would love to embed some of the reactions below but they've mostly been gone so you gotta take my word for it. 

And you know a return is so good when Akeelah herself showed some love. 

Suffice to say, Naomi got the love from Black Twitter that Terry Crews wished he had. 

There was even a cool fanart that was made. Keep in mind, that fanart was made by someone who isn't a wrestling fan. 

THIS was the main reason why I wrote this piece besides Naomi's current utilization on television. That main reason being, representation, specifically in pro wrestling. 

Representation is more than just showcasing different people from all walks of life. 

It's how the audience gravitates towards those performers that look like them and the way performers, especially those who are part of marginalized groups of people, have been highlighted. 

This, in return, leads to people inspired to just do some dope sh*t like that fanart. 

While the former 2 time women's champion is currently the tag team champion with another GOAT, Sasha Banks, I do believe that her 2020 return and its character arc since, was one of the most missed booking opportunities in recent WWE history based on the fact that Titan Towers failed to capitalize on her popularity. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WWE RAW 16/8/21 | A Coherent Review.

Another week, another L for the red brand in terms of overall quality. And they do not need that L considering that it's the final show before this year's SummerSlam event.  Images via WWE.com   Randal Keith Orton And Riddal Are Back Together?  Randy explained his actions last week, stating that he simply doesn't owe anyone an explanation because he's Randy Orton (okay?).  Out came the most obnoxious person in Riddle and he wanted RKBRO to reunite. Styles showed up to hype up his big goof in Omos.  That RKO last week was as confusing as the thought of Jupiter Ascending being a "good movie".    The question is, did the band realigned themselves once again?  The answer was a soft no if you stopped watching the show after the Riddle and AJ Styles match (I don't blame ANYONE that stops watching Monday Night RAW).  However, that became a solid yes after Randy's bout with Omos. Am I the only one that feels kinda mid about this?  It's not terri...

My Coherent Wrestling Wednesdays: Cody Rhodes vs Wardlow In A Steel Cage, Bianca Belair Calling Out Charlotte Flair.

For the second week in a row, All Elite Wrestling has knocked it out of the park in their premier pro wrestling show while NXT is cooling off the steam creatively that is Takeover: Portland. Hopefully, the yellow brand picks back up next week.  NXT       Highlights.  Broserweights vs Oney Lorcan And Danny Burch.  That dialogue when Riddle said that they partied so hard in Portland that Pete Dunne failed the wellness policy was hilarious. The champions are immediately getting back to work after that great performance this past Sunday.  Also, this is the return of Danny Burch and Oney Lorcan so it's great to see those guys. The champions are still strong thanks to that knee strike from Riddle to win this match. A good match indeed.  Chelsea Green vs Kayden Carter.  The reason why I put this in my highlights is not because of the match but rather Bianca Belair showing up and challenging Charlotte Flair saying that...

The 5 News Week: WWE Hitting The Road Once Again!?

Hello, my fellow wrestling fans and welcome to the 5 news week. The post where I report 5 major or minor news of the week that I don't have time to do it separately. Without further ado, here are the 5 news week.   Some Images via WWE.com Johnny Ace Back On Being The Talent Relations For WWE.  John Laurinaitis returning as the talent relations for world wrestling entertainment aka big f**king yikes.  From F4WOnline and Dave Meltzer , Johnny is *sigh* back on the talent relations side of WWE and will be reporting to WWE's executive vice president of operations, Brad Blum.  The article did go on to mention that the talent relations side division has been split into "talent management and talent branding".  Fightful select has some additional information on this story about the backstage reaction of the news and pretty much, some of the talents weren't too happy with the news.  Keep in mind that WWE hasn't officially confirmed this news.  I don't ne...