Skip to main content

Wrestling And The So Called "'Realism".

 When was the last time you've heard a wrestling fan say, "wrestling is too unrealistic" or "wrestling is beyond believable"? If the answer is no, I wanna live in whatever dystopia you reside in because I envy your ignorance. 

All wittiness aside, it is pretty common to hear pundits and fans say that the medium of their entertainment (pro wrestling, in this case) is too darn unrealistic. 

Now, why is that? That depends on when professional wrestling or the specific style of pro wrestling came into their lives. 

Some might have grown up in the "realistic sport" presentation that territories like the WWWF presented back in the 60s/70s.

Others might have been brought up in the late 90s Attitude era Jerry springer/Vince Russo esque offering (uh, The Undertaker and Kane literally existed by then). 

It's a weird discussion to have since I and the 3 people that read this, can put out the gazillion things in wrestling that are deemed "unrealistic" whether it's wrestling moves, characters or the sheer presentation as a whole. 

Look. This isn't the piece to crap on people that feel this way since wrestling is subjective but rather why I disagree with that notion since this medium is a scripted, collaborative form of entertainment. 

Part of professional wrestling's appeal (in my opinion) is how stories are being told in the most minimalistic of ways. 

And those stories can include aspects of real life. However, pro wrestling shouldn't stop from there just because "oh, that thing actually happened in real life". 

Embracing the scripted nature of the industry leads to more creative autonomy within the medium. 

It also "freshens up" the quality of storytelling in wrestling. I mean, how many times do I have to witness the "can two wrestlers co-exist" cliche (the answer is, "not enough" according to WWE). 

A great case to support this belief is Lucha Underground. 

For those not familiar with the series, the show uses aspects of live wrestling that we're used to as well as scenes that are filmed like your typical TV series or movies that are out there. 

The innovative creative liberties don't end from just presentation alone, it's also the characters and the in-ring offerings too. 

Which is how the cinematic matches became a thing last year and man, I could watch the boneyard match over and over again without the sense of boredom in my body. 

I know this is the part where I list other examples that correlate my argument with "FACTS AND LOGIC" but I'm sure y'all got the memo by now. 

At its core, wrestling, like all art forms, evokes all kinds of emotions out of people and it shouldn't matter whether it came from a "logical" or a "realistic" perspective.

Otherwise, a wrestling version of CinemaSins would probably exist by now (oh, wait, it does exist? Well, sh*t).

If you're f**king entertain then why bother the realism of it? 


Yes, I know. This article is shorter than whatever the hell Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zeroes is. But, getting to the point is better than babbling on about a topic, you know, like your uncle in every family visit. Leave your thoughts on the topic below and follow me on Twitter @omartheplayaguy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WWE RAW 16/8/21 | A Coherent Review.

Another week, another L for the red brand in terms of overall quality. And they do not need that L considering that it's the final show before this year's SummerSlam event.  Images via WWE.com   Randal Keith Orton And Riddal Are Back Together?  Randy explained his actions last week, stating that he simply doesn't owe anyone an explanation because he's Randy Orton (okay?).  Out came the most obnoxious person in Riddle and he wanted RKBRO to reunite. Styles showed up to hype up his big goof in Omos.  That RKO last week was as confusing as the thought of Jupiter Ascending being a "good movie".    The question is, did the band realigned themselves once again?  The answer was a soft no if you stopped watching the show after the Riddle and AJ Styles match (I don't blame ANYONE that stops watching Monday Night RAW).  However, that became a solid yes after Randy's bout with Omos. Am I the only one that feels kinda mid about this?  It's not terri...

The 5 News Week: WWE Hitting The Road Once Again!?

Hello, my fellow wrestling fans and welcome to the 5 news week. The post where I report 5 major or minor news of the week that I don't have time to do it separately. Without further ado, here are the 5 news week.   Some Images via WWE.com Johnny Ace Back On Being The Talent Relations For WWE.  John Laurinaitis returning as the talent relations for world wrestling entertainment aka big f**king yikes.  From F4WOnline and Dave Meltzer , Johnny is *sigh* back on the talent relations side of WWE and will be reporting to WWE's executive vice president of operations, Brad Blum.  The article did go on to mention that the talent relations side division has been split into "talent management and talent branding".  Fightful select has some additional information on this story about the backstage reaction of the news and pretty much, some of the talents weren't too happy with the news.  Keep in mind that WWE hasn't officially confirmed this news.  I don't ne...

My Coherent Wrestling Wednesdays: Cody Rhodes vs Wardlow In A Steel Cage, Bianca Belair Calling Out Charlotte Flair.

For the second week in a row, All Elite Wrestling has knocked it out of the park in their premier pro wrestling show while NXT is cooling off the steam creatively that is Takeover: Portland. Hopefully, the yellow brand picks back up next week.  NXT       Highlights.  Broserweights vs Oney Lorcan And Danny Burch.  That dialogue when Riddle said that they partied so hard in Portland that Pete Dunne failed the wellness policy was hilarious. The champions are immediately getting back to work after that great performance this past Sunday.  Also, this is the return of Danny Burch and Oney Lorcan so it's great to see those guys. The champions are still strong thanks to that knee strike from Riddle to win this match. A good match indeed.  Chelsea Green vs Kayden Carter.  The reason why I put this in my highlights is not because of the match but rather Bianca Belair showing up and challenging Charlotte Flair saying that...