Skip to main content

Let's Talk About The (Then) WWE Writer Situation.

 There was a giant discourse online regarding the now-former writer for Monday Night Raw (Kenice Mobley) and how she revealed in the Asian Not Asian podcast interview that she wasn't required to have any grasps on the WWE product (even though I didn't use any transcript here, check out Andrew Thompson of Post Wrestling's transcript on it because he deserves every single shout out he gets).  

The discussion online resulted in people giving very insightful comments like, "WWE is going in the wrong direction" or "this is why WWE sucks" (I'm pretty sure that isn't the case but go ahead, Gus).

Dave Meltzer of igivewrestlingsitescontent.com noted in the Observer that the writer, Kenice Mobley, was "under the gun for speaking publicly on subjects that WWE doesn’t want stuff talked about."

 
To be fair, Sean Ross Sapp of igotmoremoneythanyourmom.com did state on Twitter, "I'm told fan reaction to Kenice Mobley's podcast appearance had little to nothing to do with the decision for WWE to let her go." 

I was about to make a joke that WWE finally listens to their audience. So, thank you Sean for RUINING MY JOKE! (That last part was sarcasm). 

What is my reaction to all of this? Well, Firstly, wait till wrestling fans find out that a lot of the people that have worked on their favourite entertainment based on existing properties, have little to no knowledge of said intellectual property. 

Just like everybody, the main motive from an employer as to why you're hired by a company is the skills you have, not the full understanding of the company or its products. 


Sure, it does help but there's a reason the phrase, "learning on the job" exists especially since script supervisor/continuity supervisors literally exist in every scripted television production including WWE's flagship programs that handle the continuity side of things (check out the job listing for said script supervisor that WWE put out there 2 years ago). 

Side note, SHE'S A TV WRITER THAT IS BROUGHT ON TO WRITE FOR, YOU GUESSED IT, A TV SHOW! WHAT DID YOU EXPECT!? 

I will go as far as to say that getting a so-called "outsider" to evaluate or rather contribute to the writing process is actually a good thing considering that it leads to unique stories being presented that we haven't seen on the pro wrestling scene instead of getting the usual wrestling tropes/cliches that we are used to (I'm looking at you, "can they coexist?" cliche). 


One of WWE's former writers, Chris Kreski (who did not have any experience of working in the professional wrestling industry before joining WWE's creative alliance) is a great example of how to approach the WWE creative process in a distinctive way in that he used storyboards to keep in pace of angles/storylines and was praised by fans because of it. 

As long as the writer has a level of interest in WWE or professional wrestling in general and has the skills to deliver her job to the absolute best of her abilities, who gives a damn? 

This conversation also exposes that some wrestling fans do not have jobs. Just saying (if you can't tell, I'm clearing sh*t talking but for real though). 

Now, what did we learn from this? 

The discussion kinda proves my point regarding some wrestling fans (especially of those with low melanin) that y'all legit have no nuance but I don't want to sound like "the wrestler that believes wrestling fans are a monolith" so I'll let you guys lead the conversation, I guess. 

Sound off in the comments on what do you think about the situation? Anyways, stay safe smarks. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WWE RAW 16/8/21 | A Coherent Review.

Another week, another L for the red brand in terms of overall quality. And they do not need that L considering that it's the final show before this year's SummerSlam event.  Images via WWE.com   Randal Keith Orton And Riddal Are Back Together?  Randy explained his actions last week, stating that he simply doesn't owe anyone an explanation because he's Randy Orton (okay?).  Out came the most obnoxious person in Riddle and he wanted RKBRO to reunite. Styles showed up to hype up his big goof in Omos.  That RKO last week was as confusing as the thought of Jupiter Ascending being a "good movie".    The question is, did the band realigned themselves once again?  The answer was a soft no if you stopped watching the show after the Riddle and AJ Styles match (I don't blame ANYONE that stops watching Monday Night RAW).  However, that became a solid yes after Randy's bout with Omos. Am I the only one that feels kinda mid about this?  It's not terri...

WWE NXT Takeover: XXV | My Coherent Review.

Look guys, I don't need to tell you this. This was a great show. Now, you're probably be asking "if you don't need to tell me this then why are you to quote yourself, TELLING ME THIS!?" Good question but the reason why is because I like to talk about great pro wrestling.  Matt Riddle vs Roderick Strong.  An absolute must rewatch match for me and a must watch for you guys if you haven't seen it. Match started off with some amateur wrestling style takedown from both guys.  Then, Roderick Strong hit a modified back suplex on the ring apron. By then, Riddle hits Strong with a brainbuster. Riddle had the highlight of that match by hitting Strong with a go to sleep (yes, that go to sleep) into a German suplex with a bridge.  Roderick hits a powerbomb pin into a Boston crab then the match ends with Riddle delivered with a move that I wish I knew what the name of it was.  Street Profits vs The Forgotten Sons (in Steve Cutler and Wesley Blake) vs The Undi...

WWE RAW 31/5/21 | A Coherent Review.

I was recently reading my RAW reviews from 2019 and the thing that is common in all of those reviews was that while I had some issues with those episodes, the shows were decent as a whole.  2021, however, is, of course, a different story. Ever since the fall of last year, I've been consistently getting terrible episode after terrible episode that is giving SNL a run for its money.  At this point, criticizing Monday Night RAW is a God damn routine.  Images via WWE.com   The Miz TV. Special Guest, Charlotte Flair.  As told by the headline above, the show opened with Miz TV. A segment that literally nobody looks forward to.   You had John Morrison legit wearing a necklace that is covered in garlic for protecting himself from any supernatural thing appearing which was PEAK CRINGE.  Charlotte Flair stated that she'll send Rhea Ripley to hell in 3 weeks (by the way, this is still a weird decision to move the Hell In A Cell show in the summer but whateve...