Skip to main content

WWE NXT 27/4/21 | A Coherent Review.

I didn't review RAW yesterday because it was so bad and yawn-inducing that I actually fell asleep after watching the episode. 

Thankfully, NXT was a different story because it was, for the most part, a decent program. 

The thing that I didn't like about the show was how similar and badly predictable the booking was in some of the matches like distraction finishes and common tropes in order to build a championship match feud.  

Images via WWE.com

Dakota Kai vs Mercedes Martinez. 


Ah yes. The "If you want a spot in the championship match, you have to face the champion's friend/partner" cliche but I can't complain due to the fact that the encounter was decent. 

Like pretty much all of WWE matches, this one ended via a DQ because of Raquel Gonzalez's consistent attack on Martinez. 

Just when a babyface is teased to have a grey area, WWE decided to turn Raquel fully to the dark side. 

That ending rendered Gonzalez's babyface turn a few weeks ago utterly meaningless. 


Ember Moon and Shotzi Blackheart got some flowers from none other than Dexter Lumis and their reaction was hilarious, not gonna lie. 

Cameron Grimes went to a jewellery store and wanted the most expensive watch ever. 

Ted Dibiase told Grimes that the watch Grimes' wearing isn't bad but it isn't a million-dollar watch. 

Grimes continues to be the funniest persona on WWE right now. This scene made me laugh so loud that I actually bothered my neighbours (yes, the place I live in has thin walls). 


In an in-ring segment, The Grizzled Young Veterans were glowing about themselves as a tag team to which Tommaso Ciampa and Timothy Thatcher disrespected the former NXT UK tag team champions. 

A quick brawl ensued and that's how the segment ended. I don't hate it.  

It is a way to build a decent tag team presence in NXT that while Smackdown is trying to do, RAW, however, is pretending that their tag team division doesn't exist (I mean, where in the hell is AJ Styles and Omos?). 


Xia Li cut a promo in Mandarin and according to a translation on the YouTube comments section (I couldn't find the actual translation of that promo anywhere), Li mentioned how a fallen queen will bow down to Tian Sha. 

If you were watching the segment without sound, it seemed like they were doing a cover for Bohemian Rhapsody. 

Isiah Swerve Scott challenged Leon Ruff to a falls count anywhere match on next week's episode. Should be a decent bout. 

Toni Storm vs Zayda Ramier.  


Zayda defeated Storm thanks to, of course, some outside distraction by Zoey Stark. 

I will say this, that shooting star press was the best part about this entire thing. 

Bronson Reed vs Austin Theory. 


Another use of the "If you want a spot in the championship match, you have to face the champion's friend/partner" however, the difference is that Johnny Gargano doesn't want Bronson Reed to challenge him for the belt. 

Indi Hartwell was trying to avoid Dexter Lumis. 

I F**KING HATE YOU, THE WAY! SEE WHAT YOU DID TO INDI HARTWELL? THANKS TO YOUR BULLSH*T MANIPULATING ADVICE, SHE'S NOW AVOIDING DEXTER LUMIS. LET HER BE HAPPY FOR GOD'S SAKE! *rant over*

Bronson Reed took the W with the splash to Austin Theory. 

Imperium vs Drake Maverick And Killian Dain. 


Would you be surprised if I told you that Imperium won this match? 


Pete Dunne called out all of the champions within the NXT brand because he's the most baddest man in NXT (truth). 

Shotzi Blackheart And Ember Moon vs Jessi Kamea And Aliyah.


Turns out, those flowers that were given to women's tag team champions weren't from Dexter Lumis but rather the challengers for the belts in Candice LeRae and Indi Hartwell. 

Because of the beatdown from The Way to the NXT, that match didn't happen. Meh. 

Adam Cole (Bay! Bay!) With a big baller suit, took part in an interview with sports journalist Arash Markazi. 

In it, Cole mentioned how he doesn’t need The Undisputed Era anymore since he can focus on himself and promises that the audience will see the best Adam Cole ever. A decent interview segment. 

A vignette aired about The Diamond Mine with shots of someone training at an MMA gym. This has to be Parker Boudreaux, right? 

Kushida And Msk vs Legado De La Fantasma. 


An awesome main event encounter and by far, the best thing about this episode. The bad guys picked up the victory, pinning Msk’s Nash Carter. 

So, to recap for all of you slow mofos. 

Like: Kushida And Msk vs Legado De La Fantasma, Cameron Grimes jewellery store scene. 

Didn’t like: Questionable booking like Raquel turning heel out of nowhere. 


Sound off in the comments below on what do you think about this episode of NXT? Follow the blog for honest pro wrestling opinions as well as my Twitter @omartheplayaguy and stay safe smarks. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WWE RAW 16/8/21 | A Coherent Review.

Another week, another L for the red brand in terms of overall quality. And they do not need that L considering that it's the final show before this year's SummerSlam event.  Images via WWE.com   Randal Keith Orton And Riddal Are Back Together?  Randy explained his actions last week, stating that he simply doesn't owe anyone an explanation because he's Randy Orton (okay?).  Out came the most obnoxious person in Riddle and he wanted RKBRO to reunite. Styles showed up to hype up his big goof in Omos.  That RKO last week was as confusing as the thought of Jupiter Ascending being a "good movie".    The question is, did the band realigned themselves once again?  The answer was a soft no if you stopped watching the show after the Riddle and AJ Styles match (I don't blame ANYONE that stops watching Monday Night RAW).  However, that became a solid yes after Randy's bout with Omos. Am I the only one that feels kinda mid about this?  It's not terri...

WWE NXT Takeover: XXV | My Coherent Review.

Look guys, I don't need to tell you this. This was a great show. Now, you're probably be asking "if you don't need to tell me this then why are you to quote yourself, TELLING ME THIS!?" Good question but the reason why is because I like to talk about great pro wrestling.  Matt Riddle vs Roderick Strong.  An absolute must rewatch match for me and a must watch for you guys if you haven't seen it. Match started off with some amateur wrestling style takedown from both guys.  Then, Roderick Strong hit a modified back suplex on the ring apron. By then, Riddle hits Strong with a brainbuster. Riddle had the highlight of that match by hitting Strong with a go to sleep (yes, that go to sleep) into a German suplex with a bridge.  Roderick hits a powerbomb pin into a Boston crab then the match ends with Riddle delivered with a move that I wish I knew what the name of it was.  Street Profits vs The Forgotten Sons (in Steve Cutler and Wesley Blake) vs The Undi...

WWE Smackdown 9/7/21 | A Coherent Review.

I'm happy to note that Smackdown was a good show and way better than the previous weeks.  Images via WWE.com Roman Reigns Took Issue With Jimmy Uso' Comment.  That comment from Jimmy Uso was regarding Roman Reigns' absence in the previous episode and how Reigns took a vacation while Jimmy took a beating from Edge last week.  The tribal chief replied with the "vacation" line saying that he doesn't take vacations because Roman can do what Jimmy Uso couldn't do and that's being the top player of WWE.  Jey Uso showed up and his words about focusing on their journey back to the tag team championship, had the family back together.  I saw a comment after watching the video clips (for clarity purposes since I tend to miss some aspects of the episode) where in the initial episodes inside the "award-winning" Thunderdome, Roman and Jey were feuding and now, at the end of the Thunderdome, Roman Reigns, Jey and Jimmy Uso are all reunited as *Dominic Toret...