Skip to main content

The 5 News Week: An Interview With MLW's Myron Reed, Quick Thoughts On Smackdown.

A rare Saturday edition of 5 news week but if you're new here, I publish this weekly news article every Sunday and the format goes like this. 

I report on 5 major or minor news of the week that I don't have time to do it separately and I put them in one post. 

Yes, there was a lot of news that dropped in a single day but since I'm posting this on Saturday morning, the 4 news this week is before Friday. 

Without further ado, here are the 5 news week.

An Interview With MLW's Myron Reed. 

Myron Reed
via MLW

Myron Reed has been in the pro wrestling scene since 2016 and picked up an impressive portfolio for himself. 

Reed worked with current stars like AJ Gray, NXT's Joaquin Wilde, Matt Cross aka Son Of Havoc, AEW's The Lucha Brothers, Best Friends, and a whole lot more.


FUSION RECAP: Injustice's Myron Reed Challenges Teddy Hart For Middleweight  Gold
via MLW

So, I asked Reed about his time in OVW and whether being a tag team wrestler was the goal or not? 


"Actually, I started in a small town called Central City (In Kentucky) then I eventually went to OVW maybe after 2/3 months of training. 

But, yes I was a tag wrestler at first and I always lived in the moment so I wasn’t worried about being a long time singles wrestler until it started to approach that time."

Before he started training to become a professional wrestler, he dabbled into backyard wrestling: 

"Backyarding was dope, I pretty much trained myself back then and most of my buddies (even though I had no business teaching them anything). 

I literally did it all back then, I made the stories, edited the videos and ran the Youtube channel."

Myron joined Major League Wrestling or MLW in late 2018. 

Ever since his tenure there, Myron captured the middleweight championship, ending Teddy Hart's long 330-day reign in the process. 

(fun fact, if he held the title for another month, Reed's going to break Hart's record as the longest-reigning middleweight champ) 


Exclusive: Myron Reed on working with MLW, his training, and why he lives  in Louisville
via MLW


He's also part of the" Injustice" stable. I asked about all of that and what is like to be a champ as well as being part of a stable: 

"It is more security all around the board. 

You got your boyz riding behind you no matter what. You also have to be on top of your game being champion b/c that can very easily be taken away." 


MLW Myron Reed: Young GOAT Shirt
via Pro Wrestling Tees

Can you see the picture above? Does it look familiar? If it isn't, that's because it's inspired by the great one, Muhammad Ali. 

I simply asked him as a Louisville native, what does Muhammad Ali mean to Myron Reed?:

"He’s from Louisville, my home down. Not only was he the best boxer to ever live but he stood for something and he fought for Injustices all his life." 

On top of being a pro wrestler, he has made some music. In fact, he released an album called "Get Bangers 4Ever" back in June. 



But, I had to ask him about one of the songs in the album called "Meltzer" and what was the intent behind it because I was curious: 

"{Dave} Meltzer is a famous wrestling blogger. I did it for clout for the sake of catchiness. 

It went with what I was going for and I wanted to tell my wrestling story." 

MLW has announced via Sports Illustrated that the promotion will resume filming a number of episodes that will be released starting in November. 

I asked him how amped up he was for MLW to pun intended, restart (by the way, that was my final question): 

"I got so much to prove. 

I see the list and the mentions and when they ain't talking about the kid it means it is time to reinvent myself and go even harder than before. 

I got another chip on my shoulder the last time I felt like this I won the MLW Middleweight title so stay tuned bro."

Why did The IIconics Split Up? 

WWE Photo
via WWE.com

Well, PWInsider's premium subscription service, PWInsider Elite and Mikey Johnson, has the answer (from Heel By Nature). 

It's simply because WWE sees Peyton Royce as a singles star and they want to give her a different direction for her solo push. 

Johnson did clarify that Billie Kay isn't going to leave the company. 

But, he guessed that she could possibly go to Smackdown or "somewhere else" based on how Kay was booked in RAW Underground. 

(how long do you think that some sites will take Mike's guessing about Billie Kay and will twist the narrative with headlines like "BILLIE KAY MOVING TO SMACKDOWN!"? ). 

Quick Thoughts On Smackdown. 

WWE Photo
Via WWE.com

I can't believe I'm saying this but Smackdown was actually enjoyable. 

A lot of things happened in this episode. However, all I can say is, finally. 

WWE has been teasing a Bayley and Sasha Banks break up since I started reviewing the weekly programming 2 years ago. 

Here's my quick recap. 

Like: Roman Reigns and Paul Heyman segment, Bayley turned on Sasha Banks, the number one contenders match for the universal championship. 

Didn't like: The Miz, John Morrison and Otis stuff. 

What's With The Reports Of NXT Possibly Moving To Tuesday Nights?

Major WWE Superstar Makes his Return on NXT - EssentiallySports


The black and gold brand got 849,000 viewers to witness NXT Super Tuesday.

NXT will return to Tuesday nights once again next week and there have been reports about the brand possibility moving to Tuesdays permanently. 

WrestleVotes stated that there have been talks for the past month regarding NXT moving to Tuesday nights and the numbers for the next 2 weeks might impact that decision. 

Fightful Select (from 411mania) shared light to this story saying that two months ago, USA Network pitched WWE to move NXT on, you guessed it, Tuesday nights. 

Fightful went on to say something similar as to what WrestleVotes tweeted out? 

Which is that the next few weeks for NXT on the day before its original airtime is a "test run for the show". 

Honestly, moving to a different day is good for me because I couldn't be consistent with watching both shows (NXT and AEW Dynamite) in one sitting only to review the 4 hours of TV I just watched. 

Roman Reigns And Becky Lynch Starring In The Film "Rumble". 

Rumble - Everything about the new movie a fan needs to know - Finance Rewind


This news is kinda old as the trailer of the said movie was released back in February. 

The reason why I'm writing this is that there were some casting announcements. 

From Variety, Paramount has brought in Charles Barkley, Chris Eubank and Bridget Everett to the recording booth for the upcoming animated movie "Rumble". 

The brand new universal champion, Roman Reigns, as well as Becky Lynch, have also joined the cast. 

Not gonna lie, after I was in "Rumble's" IMDB page and saw that the "Holmes And Watson" director wrote this movie, my interest level went from somewhat to least intrigue. 

The movie is set to release on January 29 of next year. 




What do you think about the news I just reported and follow me on the tweets @omartheplayaguy? Anyways, stay safe smarks. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WWE RAW 16/8/21 | A Coherent Review.

Another week, another L for the red brand in terms of overall quality. And they do not need that L considering that it's the final show before this year's SummerSlam event.  Images via WWE.com   Randal Keith Orton And Riddal Are Back Together?  Randy explained his actions last week, stating that he simply doesn't owe anyone an explanation because he's Randy Orton (okay?).  Out came the most obnoxious person in Riddle and he wanted RKBRO to reunite. Styles showed up to hype up his big goof in Omos.  That RKO last week was as confusing as the thought of Jupiter Ascending being a "good movie".    The question is, did the band realigned themselves once again?  The answer was a soft no if you stopped watching the show after the Riddle and AJ Styles match (I don't blame ANYONE that stops watching Monday Night RAW).  However, that became a solid yes after Randy's bout with Omos. Am I the only one that feels kinda mid about this?  It's not terri...

WWE Smackdown 9/7/21 | A Coherent Review.

I'm happy to note that Smackdown was a good show and way better than the previous weeks.  Images via WWE.com Roman Reigns Took Issue With Jimmy Uso' Comment.  That comment from Jimmy Uso was regarding Roman Reigns' absence in the previous episode and how Reigns took a vacation while Jimmy took a beating from Edge last week.  The tribal chief replied with the "vacation" line saying that he doesn't take vacations because Roman can do what Jimmy Uso couldn't do and that's being the top player of WWE.  Jey Uso showed up and his words about focusing on their journey back to the tag team championship, had the family back together.  I saw a comment after watching the video clips (for clarity purposes since I tend to miss some aspects of the episode) where in the initial episodes inside the "award-winning" Thunderdome, Roman and Jey were feuding and now, at the end of the Thunderdome, Roman Reigns, Jey and Jimmy Uso are all reunited as *Dominic Toret...

WWE Royal Rumble 2021 | A Coherent Review.

I know it's something you've heard a gazillion times but it's true.  We are on the road to Wrestlemania which is f'ing crazy to think about.  While this year's Royal Rumble PPV had its moments, the show as a whole was just fine.  By the way, the show was almost 4 hours but it felt like 2.  As usual, I can't talk about the women's tag team title match at the pre-show simply because I've not seen it.  Images via WWE.com Drew McIntyre vs Goldberg For The WWE Championship.  When Goldberg hits the jackhammer, I almost had a heart attack but thank God the Scotsmen kicked out.   Oh, and Drew McIntyre won the match in a meh opening match that was shorter than the Immortals Fenix Rising demo (the most specific reference I've ever made).  They showed some respect after the match.  At least Drew McIntyre won, right?  Sasha Banks vs Carmella For The SmackDown Women's Championship.  Carmella almost killed herself with that sick looking suic...