Skip to main content

The 5 News Week: An Interview With MLW's Myron Reed, Quick Thoughts On Smackdown.

A rare Saturday edition of 5 news week but if you're new here, I publish this weekly news article every Sunday and the format goes like this. 

I report on 5 major or minor news of the week that I don't have time to do it separately and I put them in one post. 

Yes, there was a lot of news that dropped in a single day but since I'm posting this on Saturday morning, the 4 news this week is before Friday. 

Without further ado, here are the 5 news week.

An Interview With MLW's Myron Reed. 

Myron Reed
via MLW

Myron Reed has been in the pro wrestling scene since 2016 and picked up an impressive portfolio for himself. 

Reed worked with current stars like AJ Gray, NXT's Joaquin Wilde, Matt Cross aka Son Of Havoc, AEW's The Lucha Brothers, Best Friends, and a whole lot more.


FUSION RECAP: Injustice's Myron Reed Challenges Teddy Hart For Middleweight  Gold
via MLW

So, I asked Reed about his time in OVW and whether being a tag team wrestler was the goal or not? 


"Actually, I started in a small town called Central City (In Kentucky) then I eventually went to OVW maybe after 2/3 months of training. 

But, yes I was a tag wrestler at first and I always lived in the moment so I wasn’t worried about being a long time singles wrestler until it started to approach that time."

Before he started training to become a professional wrestler, he dabbled into backyard wrestling: 

"Backyarding was dope, I pretty much trained myself back then and most of my buddies (even though I had no business teaching them anything). 

I literally did it all back then, I made the stories, edited the videos and ran the Youtube channel."

Myron joined Major League Wrestling or MLW in late 2018. 

Ever since his tenure there, Myron captured the middleweight championship, ending Teddy Hart's long 330-day reign in the process. 

(fun fact, if he held the title for another month, Reed's going to break Hart's record as the longest-reigning middleweight champ) 


Exclusive: Myron Reed on working with MLW, his training, and why he lives  in Louisville
via MLW


He's also part of the" Injustice" stable. I asked about all of that and what is like to be a champ as well as being part of a stable: 

"It is more security all around the board. 

You got your boyz riding behind you no matter what. You also have to be on top of your game being champion b/c that can very easily be taken away." 


MLW Myron Reed: Young GOAT Shirt
via Pro Wrestling Tees

Can you see the picture above? Does it look familiar? If it isn't, that's because it's inspired by the great one, Muhammad Ali. 

I simply asked him as a Louisville native, what does Muhammad Ali mean to Myron Reed?:

"He’s from Louisville, my home down. Not only was he the best boxer to ever live but he stood for something and he fought for Injustices all his life." 

On top of being a pro wrestler, he has made some music. In fact, he released an album called "Get Bangers 4Ever" back in June. 



But, I had to ask him about one of the songs in the album called "Meltzer" and what was the intent behind it because I was curious: 

"{Dave} Meltzer is a famous wrestling blogger. I did it for clout for the sake of catchiness. 

It went with what I was going for and I wanted to tell my wrestling story." 

MLW has announced via Sports Illustrated that the promotion will resume filming a number of episodes that will be released starting in November. 

I asked him how amped up he was for MLW to pun intended, restart (by the way, that was my final question): 

"I got so much to prove. 

I see the list and the mentions and when they ain't talking about the kid it means it is time to reinvent myself and go even harder than before. 

I got another chip on my shoulder the last time I felt like this I won the MLW Middleweight title so stay tuned bro."

Why did The IIconics Split Up? 

WWE Photo
via WWE.com

Well, PWInsider's premium subscription service, PWInsider Elite and Mikey Johnson, has the answer (from Heel By Nature). 

It's simply because WWE sees Peyton Royce as a singles star and they want to give her a different direction for her solo push. 

Johnson did clarify that Billie Kay isn't going to leave the company. 

But, he guessed that she could possibly go to Smackdown or "somewhere else" based on how Kay was booked in RAW Underground. 

(how long do you think that some sites will take Mike's guessing about Billie Kay and will twist the narrative with headlines like "BILLIE KAY MOVING TO SMACKDOWN!"? ). 

Quick Thoughts On Smackdown. 

WWE Photo
Via WWE.com

I can't believe I'm saying this but Smackdown was actually enjoyable. 

A lot of things happened in this episode. However, all I can say is, finally. 

WWE has been teasing a Bayley and Sasha Banks break up since I started reviewing the weekly programming 2 years ago. 

Here's my quick recap. 

Like: Roman Reigns and Paul Heyman segment, Bayley turned on Sasha Banks, the number one contenders match for the universal championship. 

Didn't like: The Miz, John Morrison and Otis stuff. 

What's With The Reports Of NXT Possibly Moving To Tuesday Nights?

Major WWE Superstar Makes his Return on NXT - EssentiallySports


The black and gold brand got 849,000 viewers to witness NXT Super Tuesday.

NXT will return to Tuesday nights once again next week and there have been reports about the brand possibility moving to Tuesdays permanently. 

WrestleVotes stated that there have been talks for the past month regarding NXT moving to Tuesday nights and the numbers for the next 2 weeks might impact that decision. 

Fightful Select (from 411mania) shared light to this story saying that two months ago, USA Network pitched WWE to move NXT on, you guessed it, Tuesday nights. 

Fightful went on to say something similar as to what WrestleVotes tweeted out? 

Which is that the next few weeks for NXT on the day before its original airtime is a "test run for the show". 

Honestly, moving to a different day is good for me because I couldn't be consistent with watching both shows (NXT and AEW Dynamite) in one sitting only to review the 4 hours of TV I just watched. 

Roman Reigns And Becky Lynch Starring In The Film "Rumble". 

Rumble - Everything about the new movie a fan needs to know - Finance Rewind


This news is kinda old as the trailer of the said movie was released back in February. 

The reason why I'm writing this is that there were some casting announcements. 

From Variety, Paramount has brought in Charles Barkley, Chris Eubank and Bridget Everett to the recording booth for the upcoming animated movie "Rumble". 

The brand new universal champion, Roman Reigns, as well as Becky Lynch, have also joined the cast. 

Not gonna lie, after I was in "Rumble's" IMDB page and saw that the "Holmes And Watson" director wrote this movie, my interest level went from somewhat to least intrigue. 

The movie is set to release on January 29 of next year. 




What do you think about the news I just reported and follow me on the tweets @omartheplayaguy? Anyways, stay safe smarks. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WWE RAW 10/8/20 | A Coherent Review.

This episode when it's good, it is REALLY good but when it's awful, it is REALLY awful. A mixed bag of a show, to be honest. pictures via WWE.com Two Contract Signings? For the first time at least in my lifetime, there are two contract signing for the same one match. Anywho, it's for the Seth Rollins and Dominik Mysterio match and Samoa Joe is the moderator which by the way, he's the best one yet. Based on Seth's promo telling Mysterio's Hijo that he can use a kendo stick or anything in the toolbox, it sounds like it's a no DQ match. The best part about this engaging segment by far is Joe's promo about how Seth Rollins was a different man ever since the fans booed him. Dominik's line quote, "Seth Rollins' actions change the lives of good men for the worst" pretty much describes Seth's heel run so far and I love it. That led to a match between Humberto Carrillo and Rollins. The match was quick af. Af

The 5 News Week: What's With The Reports Of AEW "Kicking Journalists Out Of The Post Media Scrum"?, More WWE Releases Are Coming!?

Hello, my fellow wrestling fans and welcome to the 5 news week. The post where I report 5 major or minor news of the week that I don't have time to do it separately. Without further ado, here are the 5 news week. What's With The Reports Of AEW "Kicking Journalists Out Of The Post Media Scrum"?  Let's talk about this news because that is an example of how interpreting a narrative through one lens is extremely dangerous.  Last week, AEW All Out happened (click here to read my review for it) and so did the post-show scrum.  The aftermath of it saw a few publications running a story of All Elite Wrestling "removing scrum access to journalists that ask challenging questions". In the article itself, they quoted a now-deleted tweet from a Bleacher Report writer, Jonathan Snowden saying:  'They are actively removing access from people who ask any challenging questions to them.' Snowden then got hate for it and people were claimi

The "So Bad, It's Good" Matches To Watch.

Guilty pleasures. We all have em. Consuming your favourite guilty pleasure content is so God damn satisfying.  And pro wrestling is of course, no different.  The upcoming matches that I talk about are matches that are not in the 5 stars conversations but rather are so bad that it's good.  (by the way, the list is in no particular order).  Let's have some fun, shall we?  Images via wwe.com #4. The Shield In Seth Rollins and Dean Ambrose and Kurt Angle vs Kane, Braun Strowman, The Miz And His MizTourage. WWE TLC 2017.  Y'all remember this gem? If not, all I can say is that it was an overbooked MESS like most main event matches in the Attitude Era and I ABSOLUTELY love every single second of it.  Braun Strowman being thrown into the garbage truck is a visual metaphor of how they've booked the guy years after this match took place.  This is a PERFECT match for Kurt Angle to be in and that's mainly because it hides his eventual dwindling in-ring style due to old age of c