Skip to main content

Fantasy Booking And How It Plays A Vital Role In Content Creation.

I’m not really a hardcore fantasy wrestling booking fan but I don’t mind witnessing it every once in a while. However, I could understand why people either enjoy reading fantasy booking articles or do it themselves because it’s a lot of fun and it fills up your creative juices that you never had before doing this. The question is, how did fantasy booking come about? 

The answer is simply after the internet’s infancy. As the number of people having internet connections increased, so did the number of people participating in fantasy bookings (not a big increase but you get my point). Fantasy booking has been a great conversation starter in forums like Reddit. 


Image result for fantasy booking
via smarkoutmoment.com

Now, how does it play a vital role in wrestling content creation? Take a look at WhatCulture Wrestling (by that I mean, go to their Youtube channel and just stare at it because why? *repeatedly slapping my head*, Here's why). 


They got Adam Blampied (weird saying his name now after what happened to him) to record fantasy booking videos in spring of 2015 and combine that with his personality and you got a recipe of 100k to 1.1 Mil views on YouTube. That’s stupid numbers for fantasy booking. 

Not one Youtube channel came CLOSE to those numbers other than one WrestleTalk video that made 109k views about how they should book Royal Rumble 2018. Obviously, those kinds of numbers have influence and ever since then, I’ve seen wrestling I watch on YouTube make that form of content. 


Image result for wrestling amino
via amino apps

Wrestling Amino, an app specifically for pro wrestling talk, thrives on content like this. 

The fans over there even book weekly episodic shows via blog posts and those posts get anywhere from 20 likes to even reaching the 100s, (at least the ones I've looked at) which is impressive for an app with 100k downloads on the Google play store. 


WWE has embraced the fantasy element of fantasy booking by partnering up with Boom! Studios along with assembling writers and artists to create intriguing storylines in the printed page. 

There's the WWE Then. Now. Forever series that focuses on storylines based on current WWE canon, the NXT series that tells the origins of the yellow brand and a special called "WWE: Forever" where it showcases some of WWE's legends. 


Image result for wwe boom comics
via boom! studios

If there's one thing that WWE and comic books have in common is that their storylines, for the most part, are a convoluted mess so this pairing actually makes sense but I digress. 


In conclusion, fantasy booking is great for the pro wrestling fandom but like some of the examples I brought up, they play a very big role in wrestling content creation and that’s healthy for fandom. 

Originally, this was posted on BrainBusta Original Press but since that site is now gone from the interwebs, I not only reposted this article but as well as I decided to modify the article to make it more interesting so I hope you enjoyed this. 

Follow me on Twitter @omartheplayaguy and follow this blog for honest pro wrestling opinions. Anyways, stay safe smarks

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WWE RAW 16/8/21 | A Coherent Review.

Another week, another L for the red brand in terms of overall quality. And they do not need that L considering that it's the final show before this year's SummerSlam event.  Images via WWE.com   Randal Keith Orton And Riddal Are Back Together?  Randy explained his actions last week, stating that he simply doesn't owe anyone an explanation because he's Randy Orton (okay?).  Out came the most obnoxious person in Riddle and he wanted RKBRO to reunite. Styles showed up to hype up his big goof in Omos.  That RKO last week was as confusing as the thought of Jupiter Ascending being a "good movie".    The question is, did the band realigned themselves once again?  The answer was a soft no if you stopped watching the show after the Riddle and AJ Styles match (I don't blame ANYONE that stops watching Monday Night RAW).  However, that became a solid yes after Randy's bout with Omos. Am I the only one that feels kinda mid about this?  It's not terri...

WWE RAW 23/11/20 | A Coherent Review.

Monday Night RAW this week felt like 7 hours instead of 3 hours because this show was a snooze fest.  There were a few good moments but for the most part, I was bored as f**k watching this episode.  Images via WWE.com This Segment Bruh…  To put it simply, the segment was straight up dogsh*t.  Pretty much all of the competitors in the RAW Survivor Series men's team stated their reason as to why they deserve a WWE title opportunity (with jokes from Riddle cornier than any Nick Cannon's comedy sketch).  Then, Braun Strowman attacked Adam Pearce because Braun was bothered by Adam Pearce saying, "last but not least" to him. Whyee?  That attack from Strowman made him look so stupid.  You (Braun) would've had a slight chance to face Drew for the WWE championship so why attack the guy?  The New Day vs Shelton Benjamin And Cedric Alexander For The RAW Tag Team Championship.  Moving on from something that is actually slightly worst?  I would be co...

My Coherent Wrestling Wednesdays: Cody Rhodes vs Wardlow In A Steel Cage, Bianca Belair Calling Out Charlotte Flair.

For the second week in a row, All Elite Wrestling has knocked it out of the park in their premier pro wrestling show while NXT is cooling off the steam creatively that is Takeover: Portland. Hopefully, the yellow brand picks back up next week.  NXT       Highlights.  Broserweights vs Oney Lorcan And Danny Burch.  That dialogue when Riddle said that they partied so hard in Portland that Pete Dunne failed the wellness policy was hilarious. The champions are immediately getting back to work after that great performance this past Sunday.  Also, this is the return of Danny Burch and Oney Lorcan so it's great to see those guys. The champions are still strong thanks to that knee strike from Riddle to win this match. A good match indeed.  Chelsea Green vs Kayden Carter.  The reason why I put this in my highlights is not because of the match but rather Bianca Belair showing up and challenging Charlotte Flair saying that...