Skip to main content

Wrestling Publications And Web Design.

The internet is home to over 50 billion websites and within the pro wrestling niche, there are 60+ established sites that fans click into on a daily basis for news, editorials, reviews, interviews and other exclusive content. 

Those websites have four key critical tasks. One, the content obviously. Two, the design and functionality of said sites. Three, just copy what Dave Meltzer said. And four, just make sh*t up. 

Creating a site is a different beast. Some use Blogger like this site while others use square-space, Wix, or even code a site from the ground up. 

The problem with developing a web page from scratch is that it's time-consuming and you have to learn some mark-up languages like HTML and CSS. 

It's essentially a great skill that isn't worth it if you want a site in minutes. Now, the main question is, why am I writing this article in the first place? 

When you learn a skill, you tend to have a different view on a product that is connected with the skill you're somewhat experienced in. 

That skill is, of course, cooking after seeing Twitch streamers react to Masterchef (it's web development if you hate my banter which I don't blame you). 

And in this month's editorial, I am going to highlight some good and bad examples of wrestling publications' use of web design. 

PWInsider. 

PWInsider hates 3 things. Lowercase letters, @cherdelaware and smartphone users which according to valid and reliable statistics, pretty much everyone has one. 

(except Brock Lesnar apparently). 

Suffice to say, the site looks straight out of the time Charmbracelet came out. To go more “technical”, there are several main design principles that I learned as a web designer turned graphic designer turned failed wrestling pundit. 

Those principles include hierarchy, emphasis, balance, simplicity, white space and alignment. 

While the site does a pretty solid job of putting the emphasis on the colour red that makes the user connect in their heads between the PWinsider name as well as the colour itself, making those two things synonymous, PWinsider has unnecessary too much white spacing especially since those spaces aren’t utilized (you know which entity also has a lot of white spaces? AEW). 


It does display the information needed for the copy/paste sites to write about but the datedness of the entity as a whole, makes the site frustrating for people to navigate and look at. 

WrestlingInc. 

Wrestling Inc is kinda like this site. It isn't operated by a white person, loves quoting the Wrestling Observer Newsletter and the website is actually functional.  

If it sounds like I'm complimenting their web design, that's simply because I am. What are the positives? 

Unlike PWInsider, the site utilizes space better while also maintaining a good sense of hierarchical design with the main news and the rest of the news section below. 

However, like PWInsider, the unofficial sister site of F4Wonline does display the information needed to get the news. 

The only thing I'll nitpick WrestlingInc for is the quality of the PNG/images used (at least in different sections and not in the articles itself) are Goddard Bolt from Life Stinks level poor. 

NoDQ. 

No DQ is a site owned by a guy that followed and unfollowed me on the tweets more times than John Cena with world titles. 

Now, here's the thing, NoDQ isn't just a step site. It's the site that stepped up (at least in terms of web design and overall functionality).

Like Wrestling Inc, they actually love mobile users so it has great responsive web design. 

I do wish the different headings section had an emphasis on the news they're covering whether it's increasing the boldness or adding a different colour due to the fact that it feels like the content is blended in together which makes it a bit complicated to navigate in the homepage. 

Having a dedicated space for placing ads is a net positive and I appreciate that due to the fact that ain't nobody trying to look at ads for Bethesda because their games don't work (at least the Bethesda game studios' projects). 

Fightful. 

Fightful may be to quote that song from 2011, young, wild and free but they've pumped up more content than ever across all mediums since the site's launch 5 years ago. 

Hell, they even have the wrestling media's equivalent of a premium live event which among other things, include exclusive news and a white dude with a beard that rants about WWE (shout out to the Grapsody podcast aka the GOAT podcast right now). 

I'm not here to tell you guys whether a redneck muting a Hispanic woman is funny or not. 

I'm here to note on the site's web design and I have nothing negative to say about the site's responsive web design. 

The first of which is that every domain name leads to their section like how Fightfulgaming.com directs to their gaming section which is a nice touch. 

The thing Fightful has in common with most of the sites mentioned is that it does a great job on filling out the space needed to maintain its design hierarchy. 

Oh, and their wrestling mask logo for the pro wrestling section is kinda cute for me for some reason? Don't know why I feel this way but that's just me THOOOOOOUGH! 


What’s my conclusion? Well, just don’t be like PWInsider. That’s all. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WWE RAW 23/8/21 | A Coherent Review.

Monday Night RAW yesterday didn't piss me off so that's nice, I guess.  Images via WWE.com   Bobby Lashley Confronted By Damian Priest.  Damian Priest was like, "You're a coward for relentlessly damaging Goldberg's arm and I want to challenge you for a match" and a pissed off Bobby Lashley accepted the offer.  My thoughts after watching the segment  was, "Damian's losing clean, right?"  Well, I was wrong. The match ended via a DQ due to an attack from Sheamus aka the man that was once called "the great white".  Priest got some help from Drew McIntyre. With McIntyre, Sheamus and Bobby Lashley being in the same segment, it's almost like a blast from the past if you're a zoomer that thinks 6 months ago is like 10 years ago (moi).  Of course, a tag team match happened and the babyfaces won the encounter with the claymore to Sheamus. I wasn't offended watching all of this unfold and I feel like that's asking too much from WWE...

WWE RAW 16/8/21 | A Coherent Review.

Another week, another L for the red brand in terms of overall quality. And they do not need that L considering that it's the final show before this year's SummerSlam event.  Images via WWE.com   Randal Keith Orton And Riddal Are Back Together?  Randy explained his actions last week, stating that he simply doesn't owe anyone an explanation because he's Randy Orton (okay?).  Out came the most obnoxious person in Riddle and he wanted RKBRO to reunite. Styles showed up to hype up his big goof in Omos.  That RKO last week was as confusing as the thought of Jupiter Ascending being a "good movie".    The question is, did the band realigned themselves once again?  The answer was a soft no if you stopped watching the show after the Riddle and AJ Styles match (I don't blame ANYONE that stops watching Monday Night RAW).  However, that became a solid yes after Randy's bout with Omos. Am I the only one that feels kinda mid about this?  It's not terri...

WWE Royal Rumble 2021 | A Coherent Review.

I know it's something you've heard a gazillion times but it's true.  We are on the road to Wrestlemania which is f'ing crazy to think about.  While this year's Royal Rumble PPV had its moments, the show as a whole was just fine.  By the way, the show was almost 4 hours but it felt like 2.  As usual, I can't talk about the women's tag team title match at the pre-show simply because I've not seen it.  Images via WWE.com Drew McIntyre vs Goldberg For The WWE Championship.  When Goldberg hits the jackhammer, I almost had a heart attack but thank God the Scotsmen kicked out.   Oh, and Drew McIntyre won the match in a meh opening match that was shorter than the Immortals Fenix Rising demo (the most specific reference I've ever made).  They showed some respect after the match.  At least Drew McIntyre won, right?  Sasha Banks vs Carmella For The SmackDown Women's Championship.  Carmella almost killed herself with that sick looking suic...