Skip to main content

NXT New Year's Evil 2021 | A Coherent Review.

If you guys, my 5 viewers have noticed that I haven't done an NXT review in over a month, that is because I wanted to wait for NXT New Year's Evil to arrive since it was a great way to end this. 

Now, what do I mean by "this"? After 3 years of reviewing the brand once known for its black and gold vibe (or the brand that failed to bring Nu Metal back into the mainstream consciousness), I'm officially done with reviewing a brand that I still don't know the full form of. 

The reason being is that I wanted to focus on more original content whether it's my weekly news series The 5 News Week or the monthly "thought-provoking" editorials. 

So pretty much, all 3 of y'all will get 2 editorials a month. One on Mondays and the other on Wednesdays. 

As far as how I feel about New Year's Evil, it was aight. 

Images via WWE.com

Carmelo Hayes vs Roderick Strong. North American And Cruiserweight Title Unification Match. 


Many, many, many and I mean many move reversals and a top rope scissors kick from Hayes to Roderick later and that's how a double champion was crowned. 

This means the cruiserweight championship is now officially retired for the second time on WWE television and man, talk about a roller-coaster ride of ups and downs.

The initial tournament that led up to the title match was fantastic and even some of the title reigns like Pac or the matches between Mustafa Ali and Murphy. 

But then you had the main roster's take on the cruiserweights which you can tell, they didn't know what to do with the then newly established division until Triple H took charge of the entire brand by setting up a tournament and appointing Drake Maverick as the GM of 205 Live which did accomplish the main aim for the cruiserweight division. 

Speaking of 205 Live, it seems like the show will come to an end. Will see what happens with that. I feel like that show needed a cancellation like a year and a half back but that's just me though. 

On the positive note, at least it didn't end with a leprechaun (aka the then supposed son of a deranged billionaire) winning the title, right? 

So, A Brawl Between AJ Styles And Grayson Waller Happened. 

A match between those two crackers was announced for the main event on next week's episode. 

Since this is my last NXT review, I'll just say something along the lines of, cool. 

Imperium vs Riddle And Msk. 


A solid 6 man tag team match, Playas. The team of Riddle and Msk wins with a Senton from one-half of the RAW tag team champions. 

It's nice to hear Msk getting some positive reactions from the crowd and not negative ones led by vanilla Joe Jackson (shout out to @ceehawk for the joke). 


In an interview with McKenzie Mitchell, Joe Gacy mentioned the words joy and happiness. A reminder that Joe Gacy's character is like if an anarchist took a shower and did yoga.


Another interview segment happened this time with Electra Lopez regarding her partnership with Legado De La Fantasma as well as her interaction with Xyon Quinn. 

I'm just going to pretend here that I'm reviewing NXT next week and say, nice! I can't wait to see Santos Escobar face Xyon Quinn next week.  

Raquel Gonzalez vs Cora Jade vs Mandy Rose For The NXT Women's Championship. 


Oh crap, Raquel is riding the same motorcycle that led her to certain rallies. You know, the "let's go Brandon" type. 

The match wasn't too noteworthy but it was fine for what it was. 

The woman that looked at Rachel Dolezal and said, "I wanna be like her", retained the women's championship by pinning Cora Jade.


Von Wagner took his anger and frustration of missing his boo, Kyle O'Reilly by beating the hell out of Andre Chase. I have a solution, a therapy session from a certified doctor named Shelby.

Tommaso Ciampa vs Bron Breakker. 

The young big man finally did it. He defeated a man so old, he probably questioned his own mortality after finding out his opponent's age. 

What a way to end my NXT review than with a good main event encounter. 


So, I guess this is a goodbye huh? Well, I'll pull an Alanis Morissette and say Thank U.

Thank U for the mental bands I'll never listen to in a week.

Thank U for the greatest women's championship match of all time at NXT Takeover: Brooklyn. 

Thank U for providing the glo in glorious. 

Thank U for having Big E's first theme song stuck in my head for a while. 

Thank U for not starting an NXT Japan because that would suck honestly. 

Thank U for making me care about a stock bro from North Carolina (a sentence I shouldn't air out because I hate capitalism). 

Thank U for having me say "that's it" because the show was once 45 minutes to an hour (bring it back). 

Thank U, thank u, silence. 

So, to recap for all of you slow mofos. 

Like: NXT championship match, 6 man tag match.  

Didn't like: Nothing really. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WWE RAW 16/8/21 | A Coherent Review.

Another week, another L for the red brand in terms of overall quality. And they do not need that L considering that it's the final show before this year's SummerSlam event.  Images via WWE.com   Randal Keith Orton And Riddal Are Back Together?  Randy explained his actions last week, stating that he simply doesn't owe anyone an explanation because he's Randy Orton (okay?).  Out came the most obnoxious person in Riddle and he wanted RKBRO to reunite. Styles showed up to hype up his big goof in Omos.  That RKO last week was as confusing as the thought of Jupiter Ascending being a "good movie".    The question is, did the band realigned themselves once again?  The answer was a soft no if you stopped watching the show after the Riddle and AJ Styles match (I don't blame ANYONE that stops watching Monday Night RAW).  However, that became a solid yes after Randy's bout with Omos. Am I the only one that feels kinda mid about this?  It's not terri...

WWE RAW 20/4/20 | A Coherent Review.

This episode of Monday Night RAW felt like if last week's show had a sequel if that analogy makes sense?  It didn't have a new, fresh take on the show and they instead played it safe which is fine. In this case, adding a few risks will definitely help the show from the overall feeling of emptiness metaphorically speaking of course.  Drew McIntyre Addresses The Man That Stomped Him Twice.   McIntyre opens a Monday Night RAW show with a promo for the second episode in a row. He wasn't shocked that Seth Rollins attacked him last week due to his new price possession and how the superstars want that taste of gold.  Angel Garza's music hits and the current United States champion, Andrade, strikes Drew but that led to not one but two claymore kicks on Andrade.  A decent opening segment. Did its job on building the main event match between Garza and Drew McIntyre. It must be cool for Angel Garza to go one on one with THE WWE champion. A definite car...

The 5 News Week: WWE Hitting The Road Once Again!?

Hello, my fellow wrestling fans and welcome to the 5 news week. The post where I report 5 major or minor news of the week that I don't have time to do it separately. Without further ado, here are the 5 news week.   Some Images via WWE.com Johnny Ace Back On Being The Talent Relations For WWE.  John Laurinaitis returning as the talent relations for world wrestling entertainment aka big f**king yikes.  From F4WOnline and Dave Meltzer , Johnny is *sigh* back on the talent relations side of WWE and will be reporting to WWE's executive vice president of operations, Brad Blum.  The article did go on to mention that the talent relations side division has been split into "talent management and talent branding".  Fightful select has some additional information on this story about the backstage reaction of the news and pretty much, some of the talents weren't too happy with the news.  Keep in mind that WWE hasn't officially confirmed this news.  I don't ne...