Skip to main content

NXT Takeover: Vengeance Day | A Coherent Review.

I've been really disappointed with recent Takeovers as of late but their latest one wowed me.

I thought this show brought back the spark of the old Takeovers shows that I love. 

Vengeance Day, in my opinion, is in the top 5 best Takeovers ever produced. 

That's how much I enjoyed it.  

Images via WWE.com

Shotzi Blackheart And Ember Moon vs Dakota Kai And Raquel Gonzalez. Dusty Rhodes Tag Team Classic Tournament Finals. 


Throughout the match, the babyface team were aiming at Dakota Kai's knee which is smart because one, Kai's kicks are her greatest strength and two, she suffered a torn ACL. 

Shotzi took some nasty offensives like the powerbomb from Raquel that had Shotzi land onto the barricade. 


Speaking of Raquel Gonzalez, she was the star of the match. 

She legit showed some impressive grapples and strikes. 

Because of her, she and Dakota Kai won the entire tournament and will go on to face Shayna Baszler and Nia Jax for the women's tag team championship. 

Can Dakota Kai and Raquel actually capture those titles, please!?

Oh, and the match was pretty good. 

Kushida vs Johnny Gargano For The North American Championship.


Austin Theory was kidnapped by Dexter Lumis during Johnny Gargano's entrance which for some reason, made me laugh really loud. 

This is a match that you may or may not like depending on your wrestling preference because of how slow-paced it was (or least, most of the match was slow-paced).

I for one thought it was excellent mainly due to the fact that I'm a technical wrestling geek. 

That suplex from Kushida was pure excellence. 


Unfortunately, Kushida's series of arm damage on Johnny Gargano wasn't enough to win the match as Gargano retained the championship with not one but two one final beat finishes. 

Again, what an excellent match. Definitely a match of the year contender in my eyes. 

The Grizzled Young Veterans vs MSK. Dusty Rhodes Tag Team Classic Tournament Finals. 


A fantastic match with a surprise ending that I do not mind. MSK is getting better and better the more I watch them perform. 

Grizzled Young Veterans delivered a fantastic doomsday day onto the outside (holy f**king shit). 

MSK walked out of Vengeance Day as THE 2021 Dusty Rhodes Tag Team Classic tournament winners. 


What a way to build a new tag team. I went from "I don't know these guys" to "officially, I am a fan" within a span of weeks. It’s nice to see a signing with a concrete plan, you know what I mean? 


Cameron Grimes was showing off his wealth with Josiah Williams' song about Grimes recent fortune, playing in the background. 

Funny sh*t. 

Io Shirai vs Toni Storm vs Mercedes Martinez For The NXT Women's Championship. 


All 3 women were beating the holy hell out of each other. The volume was turned up through this championship encounter.  

Io Shirai nailed the moonsault to retain the NXT women's championship. 

It was my least favourite match but it wasn't bad.

Eli Drake aka LA Knight is now part of the black and gold brand. 

A great pick up from WWE. Don't f**k it up, guys. 

Finn Balor vs Pete Dunne For The NXT Championship. 


Ever since Balor and Dunne went face to face in a segment, I was awwing at the potential of this match. 

The question is, did it live up to my expectations? 

Yes. I got not one but TWO technical wrestling matches!? 

This has to be the greatest Takeover ever, right? 

Finn Balor's in-ring psychology is at an all-time high in this championship bout.


The way he sells Dunne's various submission moves was pure art. 

No shocker, Finn Balor retained but then, he was attacked by Pete Dunne, Oney Lorcan and Danny Burch. 

Out came Undisputed Era to the rescue. Minutes later, Adam Cole kicked not only Finn Balor but Kylie O'Reilly as well. 


Normally, this is the part where I rant on how WWE hates friendships and loves breaking up tag teams. 

However, this is clearly a way to have Kylie O'Reilly "ridin' solo" as Jason Derulo would like to put it while bringing back Adam Cole's heel persona that we all know and love.  

In other words, I don't hate this? 

So, to recap for all of you slow mofos. 

Like: Both men's and women's Dusty Rhodes tag team classic finals match, Kushida vs Johnny Gargano. 

Didn't like: It's a Takeover show, what do you think? 

Let me know what do you think about NXT Takeover: Vengeance Day and follow me on the tweets @omartheplayaguy. Anyways, stay safe smarks.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WWE RAW 16/8/21 | A Coherent Review.

Another week, another L for the red brand in terms of overall quality. And they do not need that L considering that it's the final show before this year's SummerSlam event.  Images via WWE.com   Randal Keith Orton And Riddal Are Back Together?  Randy explained his actions last week, stating that he simply doesn't owe anyone an explanation because he's Randy Orton (okay?).  Out came the most obnoxious person in Riddle and he wanted RKBRO to reunite. Styles showed up to hype up his big goof in Omos.  That RKO last week was as confusing as the thought of Jupiter Ascending being a "good movie".    The question is, did the band realigned themselves once again?  The answer was a soft no if you stopped watching the show after the Riddle and AJ Styles match (I don't blame ANYONE that stops watching Monday Night RAW).  However, that became a solid yes after Randy's bout with Omos. Am I the only one that feels kinda mid about this?  It's not terri...

My Coherent Wrestling Wednesdays: Cody Rhodes vs Wardlow In A Steel Cage, Bianca Belair Calling Out Charlotte Flair.

For the second week in a row, All Elite Wrestling has knocked it out of the park in their premier pro wrestling show while NXT is cooling off the steam creatively that is Takeover: Portland. Hopefully, the yellow brand picks back up next week.  NXT       Highlights.  Broserweights vs Oney Lorcan And Danny Burch.  That dialogue when Riddle said that they partied so hard in Portland that Pete Dunne failed the wellness policy was hilarious. The champions are immediately getting back to work after that great performance this past Sunday.  Also, this is the return of Danny Burch and Oney Lorcan so it's great to see those guys. The champions are still strong thanks to that knee strike from Riddle to win this match. A good match indeed.  Chelsea Green vs Kayden Carter.  The reason why I put this in my highlights is not because of the match but rather Bianca Belair showing up and challenging Charlotte Flair saying that...

The 5 News Week: WWE Hitting The Road Once Again!?

Hello, my fellow wrestling fans and welcome to the 5 news week. The post where I report 5 major or minor news of the week that I don't have time to do it separately. Without further ado, here are the 5 news week.   Some Images via WWE.com Johnny Ace Back On Being The Talent Relations For WWE.  John Laurinaitis returning as the talent relations for world wrestling entertainment aka big f**king yikes.  From F4WOnline and Dave Meltzer , Johnny is *sigh* back on the talent relations side of WWE and will be reporting to WWE's executive vice president of operations, Brad Blum.  The article did go on to mention that the talent relations side division has been split into "talent management and talent branding".  Fightful select has some additional information on this story about the backstage reaction of the news and pretty much, some of the talents weren't too happy with the news.  Keep in mind that WWE hasn't officially confirmed this news.  I don't ne...