Skip to main content

The 5 News Week: Why Is The "Brand To Brand Invitation" A Thing Now?

Hello, my fellow wrestling fans and welcome to the 5 news week. The post where I report 5 .major or minor news of the week that I don't have time to do it separately. Without further ado, here are the 5 news week.

Why Is The "Brand To Brand Invitation" A Thing Now? 

WWE Announces Drew McIntyre Vs. Baron Corbin And A Title Match For ...


The first 3 out of the 5 News stories are all related to Smackdown in some way shape or form so here we go. 

This past week's episode of Monday Night RAW saw the return of the wildcard rule *coughed once* I mean the debut of the brand to brand invitation in which any superstars can appear on the opposite show. 

During yesterday's episode of Smackdown, Micheal Cole had more to say regarding the brand to brand Invitational in that superstars are allowed to make their presence in a different WWE brand only 4 times a year. 

The real question is, why is this all happening? There are two reported reasons that somehow connect with each other? 


When WWE Plans To End The Wild Card Rule


Post Wrestling and John Pollock stated that it was the request of the networks and the hope from WWE is that "it will be a simpler version of the wildcard rule" (John should've put *sigh* before wildcard rule but that's just me). 

Meanwhile, Dave Meltzer on Wrestling Observer Radio (from Sportskeeda) said it was due to the decline of ratings as of late. 

I don't know why the network execs requested this initiative but this move is interesting because the abysmal wildcard rule didn't do much with the ratings so why do it this year? 

By the way, over and under 100% WWE breaks their own rules with the brand to brand invitation? 

Otis Reveals Which Championship He's Going To Cash In On. 

5 Surprises that could happen on the WWE SmackDown after Money in ...


Otis was also in yesterday's episode teaming up with Braun Strowman against The Miz and John Morrison in the main event. 

I was originally going to scrap this news story because there was a 50/50 chance that the episode might include a cash-in but it didn't so yay for more content! 

Otis spoke with digital spy which the interview happened before the 2020 Money In The Bank ladder and Otis was asked which championship he's willing to cash in:

"If I get the briefcase, we're challenging for the Tag Team titles," he said.

"I don't think there's a rule of what titles to challenge for, so we're going to challenge for the Tag Team titles, cash it in and that's what's going to happen... if I can get up that ladder." 

I actually agree with Otis there. To my knowledge, WWE hasn't said whether the contract is only for a World Championship match opportunity or not so maybe this might fit within the storyline or not? Will see how WWE explains it. 

Quick Thoughts On Smackdown Yesterday. 

MVP's Most Valuable Program | WWE


I've mentioned Smackdown a lot in two of these stories so might as well talk about the show, right? I didn't review the latest episode of Smackdown because of one thing, laziness. 

But I did watch the whole thing and it was enjoyable. I'm not going to talk about everything on that show but here are some notable things. 

Naomi's return felt so underwhelming in my opinion considering how her appearance in this year's women's Royal Rumble match took Black Twitter by storm and the fact that WWE hasn't capitalized it is probably one of the most missed booking opportunities in recent memory. 


Dana Brooke vs. Naomi: SmackDown, May 15, 2020


Sonya Deville' backstage promo was great as well as Daniel Bryan's match with Drew Gulak (I just read that Gulak has been released and his match was a great way to end Gulak's run in WWE). 

While I'm not a fan of the idea of the brand to brand invitation, I thought Charlotte Flair's utilization in the Bayley and Sasha Banks arc was amazing and it actually enhanced the story. If you wanna see the quick recap of the most recent episode, here it is:

Like: The Charlotte Flair, Bayley and Sasha Banks story, Sonya Deville's backstage promo, Daniel vs Drew Gulak Intercontinental championship tournament. 

Didn't Like: Naomi's loss and how underwhelming it was. 

SummerSlam In Boston Remains As Scheduled!? 

Boston Announced as Location For WWE SummerSlam 2020 - ITN WWE


If you don't know, August is only 3 months away and WWE is committed to the August 23rd date in Boston according to WrestleVotes even though the likelihood of it happening in the city is less. 

They're looking for arenas in the FL, GA and somewhere in the American South. 
WrestleVotes went on to put out that SummerSlam might be pushed to September and there's no word on a Takeover special. 

In other words, WWE's strategy is similar to Warner Bros and their commitment to the July 17th theatrical release date of "Tenet" and the August 14th release of "Wonder Woman 84" which I'm not gonna lie, I'm excited to watch those movies but I'm not going to a movie theatre until this pandemic is behind us. 

Who Does Sammy Guevera Want To See Wrestle In AEW? 

Who Will Win The New AEW TNT Championship: Sammy Guevara - The ...


One half of Le Sex Gods, Sammy Guevera, was interviewed by a French YouTube channel/site called Catch Club. During the discussion, The interviewer, Ali Haider, asked him on which WWE stars Guevera would like to be featured in AEW (from WrestlingInc):

"I'd want to pick up Kurt Angle, if he can still wrestle every now and then," Sammy said. "We don't need him to wrestle every week. Just select dates to keep his prestige. He could have some awesome matches not only with myself but with a lot of other guys. I feel like he's a guy that can teach us a lot.

"Zack Ryder, it would be dope to have him. He's super creative. He was one of the first people on YouTube with the True Long Island Story. He blew up and made something of that before anybody that I know of. What a genius to capitalize on this tool that we all have". 





I don't know about Kurt Angle wrestling once more given that his last few performances were not great. 


I feel like Zack Ryder and his persona suits him better in the independent scene but anything is possible in this industry. 


What do you think about the news I just reported and follow me on the tweets @omartheplayaguy. Anyways, stay safe smarks. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WWE RAW 23/11/20 | A Coherent Review.

Monday Night RAW this week felt like 7 hours instead of 3 hours because this show was a snooze fest.  There were a few good moments but for the most part, I was bored as f**k watching this episode.  Images via WWE.com This Segment Bruh…  To put it simply, the segment was straight up dogsh*t.  Pretty much all of the competitors in the RAW Survivor Series men's team stated their reason as to why they deserve a WWE title opportunity (with jokes from Riddle cornier than any Nick Cannon's comedy sketch).  Then, Braun Strowman attacked Adam Pearce because Braun was bothered by Adam Pearce saying, "last but not least" to him. Whyee?  That attack from Strowman made him look so stupid.  You (Braun) would've had a slight chance to face Drew for the WWE championship so why attack the guy?  The New Day vs Shelton Benjamin And Cedric Alexander For The RAW Tag Team Championship.  Moving on from something that is actually slightly worst?  I would be co...

WWE RAW 16/8/21 | A Coherent Review.

Another week, another L for the red brand in terms of overall quality. And they do not need that L considering that it's the final show before this year's SummerSlam event.  Images via WWE.com   Randal Keith Orton And Riddal Are Back Together?  Randy explained his actions last week, stating that he simply doesn't owe anyone an explanation because he's Randy Orton (okay?).  Out came the most obnoxious person in Riddle and he wanted RKBRO to reunite. Styles showed up to hype up his big goof in Omos.  That RKO last week was as confusing as the thought of Jupiter Ascending being a "good movie".    The question is, did the band realigned themselves once again?  The answer was a soft no if you stopped watching the show after the Riddle and AJ Styles match (I don't blame ANYONE that stops watching Monday Night RAW).  However, that became a solid yes after Randy's bout with Omos. Am I the only one that feels kinda mid about this?  It's not terri...

My Coherent Wrestling Wednesdays: Cody Rhodes vs Wardlow In A Steel Cage, Bianca Belair Calling Out Charlotte Flair.

For the second week in a row, All Elite Wrestling has knocked it out of the park in their premier pro wrestling show while NXT is cooling off the steam creatively that is Takeover: Portland. Hopefully, the yellow brand picks back up next week.  NXT       Highlights.  Broserweights vs Oney Lorcan And Danny Burch.  That dialogue when Riddle said that they partied so hard in Portland that Pete Dunne failed the wellness policy was hilarious. The champions are immediately getting back to work after that great performance this past Sunday.  Also, this is the return of Danny Burch and Oney Lorcan so it's great to see those guys. The champions are still strong thanks to that knee strike from Riddle to win this match. A good match indeed.  Chelsea Green vs Kayden Carter.  The reason why I put this in my highlights is not because of the match but rather Bianca Belair showing up and challenging Charlotte Flair saying that...